// Education Advice | Teacher Training & Education in Wales

Education Advice

Education Officer
Education Officers are employed in a variety of diverse sectors including water companies, theatres, community settings, museums, conservation, environmental and Trusts.  The role normally requires you to develop and deliver educational learning programmes to school groups, primary and secondary, as well as to both specialist audiences and general public.    

Expertise and/or formal qualifications may be required in addition to the completion of an Education degree.  Taking a joint honours degree by combining Education/Education Studies with another academic subject you enjoy such as history or drama will broaden your career pathways.


As a Development Officer for the education charity Learning through Landscapes Cymru Newport graduate Sarah works with schools and early years settings to help them realise the potential of their outdoor spaces for teaching and learning. “I train teachers and practitioners in the use, design and management of outdoor spaces. This means I develop training modules too and my main achievement in this area is leading the team that put together the Welsh Assembly Government (WAG) Foundation Phase Outdoor Learning training module used throughout Wales
to train teachers and practitioners.”

Higher Education Support Roles
A variety of administrative, professional and management roles exist within universities that are suitable for those with an Education related degree. Roles include Project Officers, Quality Assurance Officers, Development & Planning Officers, Admissions Officer and Deputy Registrar with good internal progression opportunities for career development. Vacancies are advertised on University websites. 
Find a Universityjob.com is a useful website to explore the diversity of roles within this sector. 

Schools and Colleges Liaison Officer
Schools and Colleges Liaison Officers work directly with schools and colleges giving talks and presentations on the UCAS recruitment cycle, personal statement, student finance and student life.   Vacancies are advertised on University websites.

Careers Advisor
A careers advisor/personal adviser provides information/impartial advice and guidance to help people make realistic choices about education, training and career options.  In England this is largely through Connexions, in Wales through Careers Wales with opportunities existing in colleges and higher education institutions.  Qualification can be through successful completion of the Postgraduate Careers Guidance/Qualification in Careers Guidance (QCG).  If you are already employed by an organisation that provides careers guidance services you can work towards NVQ levels 3 and 4 in Advice and Guidance.


Glynd?r University University of South Wales Cardiff Metropolitan University Open University
Bangor University Swansea Metropolitan University Trinity University College Aberystwyth University