// Non-School Settings | Teacher Training & Education in Wales

Non-School Settings

Playwork is a relatively new career with career opportunities at different levels depending on your qualifications and experience working in relevant Education settings. These may include delivering Local Authority Language/Number and Play sessions; a Play Officer, a Development Worker or Play work Coordinator or Manager. Considerable information can be found at www.playwales.org.uk including a downloadable leaflet ‘Why Playwork’ which aims to provide an insight into playwork workforce development in Wales. 

Therapeutic Play
Learners with difficulties in written or verbal communicaton may take particular benefits from being encouraged and supported in communicaton through the 'language' of a creative art form such as art, drama, music or dance.   Play Therapy United Kingdom estimates that there is a latent need in the UK for at least 15000 practioners using therapeutic play, creative arts and play therapy skills.  There are probably less than 1000 therapists at present with the level of expertise that is required so there are plenty of potential career opportunities (www.playtherapy.org.uk 2010)

After successfully completing a relevant degree such as the BA (Hons) Creative Therapies in Education you arelikely to work as an assistant.  To become a Therapist postgraduate study is normally required approved by the British Association of Play/Art/Drama/Dance Therapists.  You are likely to have to register with the Health Professions Council.



"The situation for a child living in Israel and the Palestinian Territories is hard for us to imagine. Children regularly witness violence and the horrific injury or killing of friends and family members. An important factor contributing to a child’s recovery from these traumas is the opportunity for expression, attachment and trust that comes from stable, caring and nurturing relationships with adults. Music therapy can provide the necessary tools to help achieve this."

Liz Coombes, Tutor BA (Hons) Creative Therapies in Education University of Wales, Newport talking about her experiences working on Project Bethlehem  2009 organised by Music as Therapy International

Theatre in Education
Theatre in Education companies tour schools, art centres and theatres with plays and workshops specifically written and designed to educate young audiences through entertainment and imagination.   Topics may range from the importance of protecting the environment for younger children to ‘youth at risk’ issues, such as AIDS, drink and drugs for older audiences.

A degree in Applied Drama or joint honours Education/Drama & Theatre Studies would provide the skills and knowledge to pursue a career in Theatre in Education.   Degree programmes with placement opportunities will enable you to gather important experience.

Lecturer: Further Education and Sixth Form Colleges / Adult & Community Education
This diverse sector is often referred to as the Post-compulsory Education and Training sector and a one year full-time PGCE in Post-compulsory Education will provide a recognised teaching qualification to teach across this sector.  Further Education lecturers work mainly with post 16 and/or adult learners, but increasingly expected to work with younger learners within the 14-19 curriculum while sixth form colleges cater for 16-19 year olds studying A levels, Welsh Baccalaureate, NVQs or other post GCSE qualfications.   Many colleges across Wales offer a wide range of Education and Childcare courses and your  supported teaching practice placement within the PGCE would account for a large part of the year.  Other time would be university-based.  A joint honours Education degree with your subject one that is offered in colleges would enhance your employability.   it is sometimes possible to find teaching hours as an unqualified teacher and then complete a PGCE part-time alongside your teaching hours.

Lecturer:  Higher Education
To teach in higher education you would normally be required to have a postgraduate qualification and wish to pursue your own research interests contributing to the wider research activities of the institution.  Most higher education institutions will require lecturers to have a recognised teaching qualiication (PGCE Post-compulsory Education) but this is often completed as part of a programme of continuing professional development.

Teaching English to Speakers of Foreign Languages (TESOL)/Basic Skills
This is increasingly a graduate profession with a demand from most bonafide institutions such as the British Council requiring a teaching qualification.   PGCEs specialising in literacy, numeracy or TESOL are offered in Wales.   Graduates would need to demonstrate a good command of English or mathematics to undertake teacher training in these specialisms.


Glynd?r University University of South Wales Cardiff Metropolitan University Open University
Bangor University Swansea Metropolitan University Trinity University College Aberystwyth University